ב"ה

Tel Dan Nature Reserve

Tel Dan is an attractive nature reserve with four different hiking trails leading through a dense forest. The trails run along several streams and bubbling brooks.

The Book of Judges details how the area, known then as Laish, was discovered by five explorers from the tribe of Dan (approximately 1274 BCE). After 600 soldiers captured the area from the Sidonians, it was renamed Dan and became the northernmost Israelite habitation at that time.

The Bible often refers to the Holy Land’s territory as “from Dan to Be’er Sheva”: Dan is the northernmost point and Be’er Sheva, the southern tip.

Extensive archeological digs in the area have uncovered much of the ancient city of Dan including a pagan altar for idol worship. Many of the finds can be seen in a museum nearby.