ב"ה

The Cardo

Ancient columns of the main north-south artery of Roman-Byzantine Jerusalem (146 BCE–1453 CE), which served as a market place, have been unearthed. Each civilization that came to Jerusalem reused the remains and ruins of their predecessors. In the covered section, a wall comprised of many different levels of stones from different periods can be seen.

The excavated eastern section shows the broad wall from the Temple period and arches from the Cardo, buried under Crusader and Mameluke foundation and buildings.