ב"ה

The Chush

Number 36 Chabad Street contains a compound of courtyards populated by the Jewish community starting in the early 1800s, and over the years housed several synagogues: Sukkat Shalom, founded in 1836 by the Perushim of Kollel Hod (HollandDeutschland); Ahavat Zion, founded in 1855; Yeshivat Chesed El, founded by Rabbi Shlomo Yechezkel Yehuda who immigrated from Baghdad; and Beit Hillel, founded in 1862, which was built on as a second story of Ahavat Zion.

The courtyard was restored in 1978 and today houses ten families.