ב"ה

The Four Sephardic Synagogues

These synagogues were founded 400 years ago, after the forced closing of the Ramban Synagogue led to separate Sephardic and Ashkenazic institutions.

The complex was used as a shelter for the community of the Jewish Quarter in 1948, when the Arab legions broke through the defensive lines. Though many of the synagogue’s furnishings disappeared during the nineteen-year Jordanian occupation, the buildings themselves remained intact and were renovated by the Sephardic community after 1967.