ב"ה

The Tzemach Tzedek Shul

Located on Chabad Street, this synagogue was founded in 1858 as a center of study, worship and congregating for Jerusalem’s Chabad community.

Rabbi Moshe Segal (1904-1985), a Chabad chasid, entered the building shortly after the city’s capture in the Six-Day War, and slept here the first night to personally guard the building, thus becoming the first Jewish resident of the newly reunited city.

Though terribly desecrated during nineteen years of Jordanian occupation, it was the synagogue which suffered the least destruction, allowing it the honor of housing the first regular minyan (prayer quorum) in liberated Jerusalem.

Today it also houses a yeshiva and is used for outreach programs.